A Reality Check on Wilderness Dangers
Drowning: Major danger
Sliding & Falls: Biggest danger in the wilderness!
Rockfalls, Avalanches, Landslides: Rare danger
Lightening Strikes: Rare danger
Freezing, Cold Winds: Major cause of problems
Sun & Heat: Major cause of problems and distress
Wildfire: Extremely rare
Wildlife: Very rare
With all we hear about the dangers of wild animals, it is hard to imagine that interactions are rare. What if you meet a (card-carrying) member of the wildlife community?
Tips for Staying Alive
You might be amused to see ‘deer’ included in dangerous wildlife. However, they can be extremely dangerous.
See my previous story: “Amazing Info of 2008: Published by (Gasp) Others!” Read about Randy Goodman (bottom half of the article), who learned about “UN-dead” deer the hard way!
Be cautious around a deer that is down. Make sure he is really dead. After making various other tests … the gold standard is: If you can touch a deer’s eye, he’s dead.
Things That May Cause Deer to Attack
- Being startled
How You Can Stay Safe
- If you’re not hunting, make noise while moving
- During rutting, stay out-of-the-way and near cover
If a Deer is Coming AT You
- Stop because he will run away if he can
- If you’re attacked, run and find some cover
- Hitting, kicking and yelling is a (poor 3rd) and least-helpful choice
- Avoid areas where mountain lions are known to live
- Be careful around areas with steep, wooded land
- Watch yourself in bushy, rocky land
Things That May Cause Mountain Lion to Attack
- If their young are nearby
- If the cat is wounded
- If the cat is hungry
- If you are running away like his usual prey would
How You Can Stay Safe
- Don’t approach a lion kill (unless you want to be dessert)
- Don’t approach ANY mountain lion
- Don’t decide to break in your new jogging shoes in lion country!
If a Mountain Lion is Coming AT You
- Do NOT make eye contact with lion
- Make yourself look “big” and yell loudly (Your TARZAN yell might work). Be sure to beat your chest!
- If attacked, this is no time to fight back …
- Instead, curl up to protect your vital organs
- Yell, hit and kick … only as (a poor and) a last choice!
Next week: We will take on bears, snakes and other wildlife!
This blog is a companion to my website: GreatGhilliesAndGraphics.com