These tips are tried-and-true … hope they help you!
- Making pancakes? Rub the griddle with cut potatoes instead of grease. There will be no odor after cooking.
- Turn the pancakes when the bubbles (in the batter) start to break or pop.
- Using an aluminum griddle for your hotcakes? Don’t use grease on your griddle, add melted shortening or oil to the batter. Use fine steel wool to polish your griddle.
- Serve pancakes and eggs immediately, do not stack and hold them on the griddle.
- Cook bacon in a baking pan in the oven.
This recipe is for breakfast, lunch or a trail snack. They are nutritious and very tasty. Bake some to take on your next outing.
Hunter’s Take-Along Biscuits
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2/3 cup water
2 and 1/4 cups complete pancake or baking mix (Bisquick-type)
1 cup rolled oats, uncooked
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts: walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup raisins
Mix all dry ingredients together (pancake mix, oats, sugar, cinnamon, nuts, raisins) completely.
Add liquid ingredients together (water, butter or margarine) and add to dry mixture.
Continue mixing until everything is well-moistened.
Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until light golden brown.
Makes about 12 delicious biscuits.
‘Evening Call’ is used by permission of Vantage Point Graphics
This blog is a companion to my website: GreatGhilliesAndGraphics.com